Private Placement Insights as of October 31, 2020
Tuesday, November 10th, 2020 and is filed under Industry Reporting
We recently released our October Private Placement Insights report. See the highlights from the report below, or if you are a Premium Reporting subscriber, log in now to see the entire report. If you don’t have access, you can request a free trial.
- Private placement fund activity continued its strong pace in October, with more funds added to our coverage in the month than any since March. 26 new funds were added in October, led primarily by real estate funds but also including energy, private equity/debt, and preferred offerings.
- As of November 1st, AI Insight covers 186 private placements currently raising capital, with an aggregate target raise of $18.2 billion and an aggregate reported raise of $8.34 billion or 46% of target.
- Real estate-related funds, including 1031s, opportunity zones, and non-1031 real estate LLCs and LPs represent the largest component of our private placement coverage, at 72% of funds and 59% of target raise. Private equity/debt funds represent a relatively small amount of our coverage in terms of the number of funds at only 10%, but tend to be larger and represent 29% of aggregate target raise.
- In terms of our coverage by general objective, income is the largest component at 52% of funds, while growth and growth & income follow at 28% and 19%, respectively.
- The average size of the funds currently raising capital is $98.0 million, ranging from $3.5 million for a single asset real estate fund to $2.8 billion for a sector specific private equity/debt fund.
- 74% of private placements we cover use the 506(b) exemption, 13% use 506(c) and 13% have not yet filed their Form D with the SEC.
- 18 private placements closed in October, with roughly 70% meeting or exceeding their target raise. 137 funds have closed year-to-date, having been on the market for an average of 339 days and reporting they raised 68% of their target on average. 72% met or exceeded targets, and only 16% were able to raise less than half of their target.
- Seven private placements suspended offerings and one terminated due to uncertainties related to COVID-19.
- ON DECK: as of November 1st, there were seven new private placements coming soon.
Access the full Private Placements report and other hard-to-find alts data
AI Insight’s Industry Reporting capabilities help you review alternative investment trends and historical market data for Private Placements, Non-Traded REITs, Non-Traded BDCs, Interval Funds, and Alternative Strategy Mutual Funds. Receive up to 24 extensive reports per year to help broaden your alternative investment reviews.
Log in or subscribe to AI Insight to further research, sort, compare, and analyze all of the private and public funds in our coverage universe. See who’s new in the industry and what trends are impacting the alts space.
Chart and data as of October 31, 2020, based on programs activated on the AI Insight platform as of this date.
Activated means the program and education module are live on the AI Insight platform. Subscribers can view and download data for the program and access the respective education module.
On a subscription basis, AI Insight provides informational resources and training to financial professionals regarding alternative investment products and offerings. AI Insight is not affiliated with any issuer of such investments or associated in any manner with any offer or sale of such investments. The information above does not constitute an offer to sell any securities or represent an express or implied opinion on or endorsement of any specific alternative investment opportunity, offering or issuer. This report may not be shared, reproduced, duplicated, copied, sold, traded, resold or exploited for any purpose. Copyright ©2020 AI Insight. All Rights Reserved.